Privacy and Security
Last Updated: 2023
What Types of Personal Data Do Our Customers Collect?
Our RainFocus Platform is flexible and allows our Customers to collect a variety of personal data from and about their Event Attendees, including name, organization, title, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, social media account ID, and other information. We encourage Event Attendees to review the Customers’ privacy policies for each event to further understand the types of data collected.
Our use of personal information collected through the Services shall be limited to the purpose of providing the service for which our Customers have engaged RainFocus, to improve our services, or as required or permitted by law.
If you do not agree with our policies and practices, you may choose not to use our RainFocus Platform.
How Do Our Customers Collect Personal Data?
Customers can use our customizable Services to collect personal data in a variety of ways as outlined in the examples below. We encourage Event Attendees to review the Customers' privacy policies to further understand their methods of collecting and use of the personal data.
- When Event Attendees voluntarily and explicitly enter personal data into our RainFocus Platform.
- When our Customers enter Event Attendees into our RainFocus Platform, when permitted, including by having a legitimate business interest or obtaining explicit consent from an Event Attendee.
How Do Our Customers Use Personal Data?
If an Event Attendee chooses to use our RainFocus Platform to conduct business with a Customer (for example: register for or check into an event, respond to an online survey, download a RainFocus Platform or application, or interact with exhibitors or the Customer), any information provided in connection with that interaction will be owned by the Customer.
Customers will also have access to information (including personal data and RainFocus Platform usage data) related to how Event Attendees interact with the Services they use. For all purposes, the Customers act as data controllers towards the Event Attendees under the data protection laws of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom or Switzerland Therefore, RainFocus cannot and does not take responsibility for the privacy practices of Customers.
Does Rainfocus Use or Sell Personal Data Collected by Our Customers?
RainFocus does not use personal data of our Event Attendees for any purposes other than to provide services that our Customers have contracted us to provide through our RainFocus Platform, as noted below, to improve our services, or as required or permitted by law. As a service provider to our Customers, RainFocus does not sell personal data of our Event Attendees.
How Does Rainfocus Collect and Process Personal Data From Our Customers and Their Event Attendees?
We collect personal data from our Customers in order to facilitate communication and delivery of the RainFocus Platform that our Customers are interested in or contract us to provide. For example, we may collect Customer contact information, whether through the execution of a contract, use of our Services, a form on our website, queries submitted to our chat agent, an interaction with our sales or customer support team, sign up for an event, or a response to one of our surveys or marketing emails. We may also collect credit card information (e.g., credit card number and expiration date, billing address, etc.) or other customary bank information needed for billing and payment purposes.
We and our vendors collect Customer usage information about how our Customers interact with our Services. This includes which webpages you visit, what you click on, when you perform certain actions, what language preference you have, how you interact with events and exhibitors, and so on.
We process Customer and their Event Attendee personal data in the following manner:
- To disclose to contractors, service providers, and other third parties as reasonably necessary or prudent to provide, maintain and support our RainFocus Platform for our Customers and their Event Attendees, such as, for example, payment processors and data center or Web hosting providers. RainFocus does not share, sell or trade any information with third parties for any promotional purposes.
- To deliver the services that our Customer has contracted us to provide through our RainFocus Platform. Some examples include:
- If an Event Attendee uses our RainFocus Platform to register for an event, we will use their provided e-mail address to send them information and announcements relating to that event.
- If an Event Attendee uses our RainFocus Platform to pay for event registration fees or other products and services using their credit cards, we will pass the credit card information to payment card processors to validate the payment information and complete the transactions.
- To disclose to event organizers, exhibitors, or other attendees, as directed by a Customer or consented to by an Event Attendee, such as by consenting to having an exhibitor scan their event badge to share their contact information, opting-in or, clicking to give consent to receive exhibitor information, or actively consenting to share information in the RainFocus Platform (e.g., name, contact information, profile picture, survey responses, Q&A features, comments, messages, poll responses, etc.).
- As instructed by Customer, to connect Event Attendees with one another for optional business networking.
- To deliver to a third party in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, recapitalization, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the RainFocus assets (including steps taken in preparation for such a transaction, including due diligence), whether as a continuing operating business or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal data held by RainFocus about our Customers and Event Attendees is among the assets transferred.
- For our internal business purposes that include administering access and use of our RainFocus Platform, data analysis, securely identifying Customers upon logging onto the RainFocus Platform, enhancing or modifying our RainFocus Platform, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, billing for services, and operating our business.
- As we believe to be necessary: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; and (c) to protect against or identify fraudulent transactions.
- For other purposes when Event Attendees provide explicit consent.
We aggregate information about (i) Customers and Event Attendees, and (ii) the use of our RainFocus Platform in order to improve our RainFocus Platform and to create benchmark and other business intelligence products. None of the aggregated information contains personal data (i.e., does not identify any individual).
Legal Basis for Rainfocus to Process Personal Data?
How Long Does Rainfocus Store Personal Data Collected by Our Customers?
Unless otherwise provided in our contract with our Customer, we process the data until 90 days after the termination of the contract, at which time we remove it from our production environment. Within 30 calendar days, we remove the data from our backup media.
How Can a Customer or Event Attendee Access, Correct or Delete Their Personal Data
In various countries, including the United Kingdom, Switzerland, countries in the EEA, as well as in some U.S. states, upon their request, Customers and Event Attendees have the right to access their personal data and, if necessary, have it amended, deleted or restricted. Customers and Event Attendees can also ask for some types of personal data to be delivered to them, or another organization they nominate, in a structured and machine-readable format.
Where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent. See the RainFocus contact section below. The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. Customers and Event Attendees in the United Kingdom, the EEA, or Switzerland also have the right to complain to a supervisory authority for data protection in the country where they live, or where they work – although we hope that we can assist with any queries or concerns you have about our use of your personal data. Our EU Representative can be contacted at https://www.datarep.com/data-request/ .RainFocus processes Event Attendees' data under the direction of our Customers and has no direct control or ownership of the personal data we process. Customers are responsible for complying with any regulations or laws requiring notice, disclosure or obtaining consent prior to transferring the data to RainFocus for processing purposes. Any Event Attendee that seeks to access, correct, or delete data, should direct their request to the Customer. If the Customer requests RainFocus to remove the personal data of an Event Attendee to comply with data protection regulations, RainFocus will process this request within the required time under the applicable regulation or law. If RainFocus receives a request from an individual Event Attendee, RainFocus will forward the request to the Customer for further instructions.
Customers can access, correct, or request that personal data be deleted by contacting us at email@example.com. RainFocus will process the request within the required time under the applicable regulation or law.
We will not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect. In such instances, we will inform the Customer about the legal obligations that prevent us from fulfilling the request.
We will maintain an audit history of any requests to access, correct or delete personal information to maintain a record of compliance with regulatory requirements.
Information for California Residents
RainFocus is a “service provider” to its Customers, as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act and does not sell personal information. If a California resident is an Event Attendee and would like to exercise any of the rights applicable under the California Consumer Privacy Act (if applicable to the Customer) and contacts RainFocus, RainFocus will forward the request to the Customer for further instructions.